Weekend Playlist by The Grey 8’s
Miami’s very own rock band The Grey 8’s made an exclusive playlist for Too Much Love with a selection of tracks that influenced their sound and their lives. From Mazzy Star to The White Stripes, these jams will be the perfect soundtrack for your Friday.
Catch The Grey 8’s live on November 6th at House of Creatives at the North Beach Bandshell along with Brazilian Girls, the Hongs, Bluejay, Millionyoung and more!
Hit Play and Rock n’ Roll!
- “The White Stripes – Aluminum”
This song was the one that defined our early sound. The raw guitar rifts accompanied by the thundering drums and swampy vocal melody was the foundation for a lot of our early songs including “Sacred I’ll Be Laying”.
- “The Yardbirds – Mr. You’re a Better Man Than I”
The psychedelic sounds of the Yardbirds we’re Jimmy Page’s and Jeff Beck’s first traces of their genius. This song was one of the first songs we attempted to cover even tho we never played it in public.
- ‘Mac DeMarco – Freeking Out the Neighborhood”
Drummer Dres David loves Mac DeMarco’s music and thought of covering this song in order to get Mac’s attention during his visit to Wynwood FL during the 2014 III Points Music Festival. The band agreed that the message behind the song was best fitting to their own lives and decisions as musicians.
- “Flat Duo Jets – Golden Strings”
One of the most beautiful rockabilly ballads written by The two piece group Flat Duo Jets. This song has all the emotion and soul that we try to replicate on stage.
- “Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Date With The Night”
This is our party song, or at least it should be. the fast beat and fun melodies are very similar to some of our own in songs like “Burn”.
- “The Dead Weather – New Pony“New Pony is a cover from the a Bob Dylan song from his Street Legal Album released in 1978. Jack White took his spin on it and beef it up with a fuzzier tone, hotter drums and not to mention Alison Mosshart’s chilling vocals
- “Mazzy Star – Five String Serenade”
Front man Danny Burnz chose this song to perform during a special Acoustic open mic night. Since we didn’t have any acoustic songs we had to learn a bunch of slow covers and play slower versions of our songs.
- “Them – You Just Can’t Win”
This is one of our default covers that the band has performed since 2011. The song has a slow bluesy intro that grown into an emotionally powerful jam .
- “Deep Purple – Highway Star”
We love the live Deep purple album Made in Japan. the first time we hear it together as a band we agreed that this was the intensity we wanted to have in our sets. It also inspired the intro of our single “You Made Me Look”.
- “Lynyrd Skynyrd – Simple Man”
This classic song has a powerful message that always stayed in our hearts. We covered this in practice and it was so emotional we cried, because of that we never performed it ever again.